Keep your dinner under 500 calories with this simple, yet delicious, meal that is full of flavor and won’t require you to spend all night in the kitchen. Just be careful not to overcook salmon; no one likes a dry chewy piece of fish! This meal is loaded with healthy fats for your heart and brain as well as antioxidant power from nutrient-dense asparagus and broccoli. Who said cooking healthy has to be bland!
2 fresh salmon fillets, about 4 ounces each
1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper as desired
15 asparagus spears
2 cups of broccoli cut into bite size pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp minced ginger
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp of red chili flakes (for those that like a little kick)
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat a grill pan to medium heat. Lightly season salmon fillets with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Set aside until needed.
- Place the vegetables into a steamer and cook for 8-10 minutes or until desired doneness or microwave in a covered dish for 3-4 minutes.
- In a small dish combine all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Place the salmon skin-side up on the hot grill pan and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the salmon onto the skin side and cook for a further 3 minutes or until desired doneness. Do not overcook; a little rare is a lot better than over done!
- Divide the steamed vegetables between 2 plates and place the salmon fillets on top. Drizzle the dressing over top and serve.